Thursday 30 July 2009

Malmö...

Well, after nearly two months, we're finally in Malmö! We've pretty much moved down here permanently now, with the odd visit to Hönö and Anderstorp planned when my mum and Emma visit. We drove down here on Monday 27th with Lena and Ida's mum to view three flats and have been staying at Eva's flat in Kroksbäck.


Of the three flats we viewed, only the last one ticked all the boxes - good location, old building, clean, and big! However, it was probably a little more expensive than we can really afford right now (seen as we were looking to buy) and we've now decided to hang on for a rental. Unfortunately, it is notoriously hard to find a flat to rent that doesn't have a huge waiting list, due to the lack of new build flats and strict regulations on renting. So now we're playing the waiting game and are searching everyday for anything we can find.


On Tuesday we spent sometime wandering the shops, before heading to Eva's boyfriend's restaurant for lunch and then met up with Angela and Caroline for a drink. Me and Ida went to the cinema in the evening and watched the new Woody Allen film, Whatever Works. It was very funny and one of his best in recent years, with Larry David a favourite of ours.



We awoke on Wednesday morning to some good news....I have been granted permanent residence for TWO YEARS! I have to reapply within the last year, unless me and Ida marry before then...which hopefully we will! Reinvigorated by the good news, we headed for Systrar & Bröder, a great little cafe for breakfast - http://www.systrarbroder.se/, where we met up with Viktor and Anna. After we'd eaten me, Ida and Viktor had a quick look at the Sonic Youth exhibition at the Malmö Konsthall - http://www.konsthall.malmo.se/o.o.i.s/60.




After saying goodbye to Viktor, me and Ida headed towards the shops and armed with some freshly printed CVs, I targeted the shops I would like to work in and handed out a few. Lucikly, none of them seemed too bothered about my lack of Swedish, so hopefully something might happen. Me and Ida then headed to Ica to buy some supplies for Eva's and then jumped on the bus home. When we got back I applied to be a postman with Bring aka Citymail, as after years of my dad saying he wants to be one when he retires, I thought I could maybe live the dream a little earlier!


As of yet, we have no real plans for today, but will probably head into town later and maybe to the coast for a walk.

No comments: